Tuesday, January 25, 2005

 

The Game Addiction called Civilization

A co-worker came to me about a friend who has givne up everything to play this game on-line, a dungeons and dragons thing. He doesn't want to stop to use the can. He doesn't leave his apartment. Has food and whatever delivered, ordered on the Internet. No social contacts initiated. Lost a good job. Sounds like crack to me. Except for the eating. And they really get the shits.

I myself have a minor addiction here. The game is Civilization. I don't do it on-line either. The first version crashed my PC often and after an evening ER shift I would start around 12:30 and play to four. Hard to get up at seven. Phone calls from my girlfriend were irritating.

Version II was worse. The bugs and those of Windows worked out better. Endless hours again. A whole day off wasted. Still unshowered and unshaven when my gal arrived home at five on Saturday. I certainly didn't give up my job or any social activities, but fre time was sucked into this black hole.

So this XMAS I got my girlfriend to buy III for me. Oops. I have wiped out the French, Russians, Chinese and Japanese. Of course my garage door opener is still broken and I haven't addressed the tax request I got.

What is it here? Why so compelling? I figure its a few things. First it is a pastime that you never have to leave the house. Pastime means using up our awake hours. Killing time. Surf the net. Read the Sunday paper. Watch the game. And never leave the house. No rain, cold, snow. No assholes on the road, traffic, finding parking, paying to park,.. Dealing with people and their hostility, rudeness, cell phones,... Not haveing to bathe, shave, wear decent clothing,...

Second is the lack of ambiguity. It is clear who wins and loses. you conquer the world. Get to the next level. Best your highest score. Most of us have boring repetitive jobs and there is little tangible progress. Not much satisfaction of accomplishment.

Third is power. I control a nation. Conquer the world. Soar to the next star. Others get to be muscular warriors, powerful wizards and even mythical creatures. In our daily life our biggest power is often which channel to watch on TV.

I seem to have it under control. I do it when I would usually watch TV (except for FB and DVD's). But if it gets worse: Lost sleep, ignoring my woman, sore wrists, sore neck and shoulders and buggy eyes,... I will have to get rid of the game. Cold turkey.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?